Tuesday, July 17, 2012

5 Frame Photo Essay

I was excited about starting this project this morning. I took pictures of my alarm clock at 6:38 a.m., my breakfast cereal, the traffic coming to school, Siceluff Hall where my class is, and my classroom. I had a difficult time finding a photo editing software that worked properly. I tried PhotoLive (a Windows-based program). No success. Then I signed myself up for a Flikr account. That wasn't much better. I couldn't really manipulate my slideshow or figure out how to do it. Kathy tried to help me, but like most people in this class, she's a Mac person and wasn't used to Flikr either. It looks as though I'm going to have to broaden my horizon and join the Mac frenzy that seems to be happening all over campus. I reverted to PowerPoint because I felt as though I didn't have the time to really learn Flikr in order to make something today. PowerPoint is fine, and I ended with a SHORT essay that definitely could be better but I think I have a better understanding of the time I'm going to have to put into making this something I'm proud of.

I did get an idea from watching two of the photo essays in class. I've been wanting to do something like this for my Aunt Rita who is 93 or 94 and now I'm obtaining the knowledge and some of the tools I will need to make it happen. I texted my sister, who has audio recordings of my aunt talking to us about things that have happened in her life. She texted them from her iPhone and now I'm in the process of trying to convert them into a format that I can manipulate. Wish me luck because this is about to send me over the edge! I went to login to the Mac computer and it wouldn't let me. After 3 times and then another student trying her login, she saw on the whiteboard that the computer I chose was the only one in the probably 30 computers that wouldn't work! And I'm supposed to switch to Macs why?

I'm excited about my photo essay assignment and plan to really work with this new technology. I think I just need to step back for a minute and realize that it's not going to come without some pain and discomfort on my part. However, it will definitely be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment