Wednesday, July 18, 2012

This morning's freewriting

Here's this morning's freewrite. Don't judge my chasing rabbits or bad grammar or no paragraphs. This is a freewrite people. So it was very hard for me to sleep last night because I kept thinking about what I was going to do with my photo essay. I went home and found a program on my home PC that is a movie maker program. I played with it for a short time and realized that it was much easier than programs I worked on yesterday. So I'm excited about trying more things with it. Unfortunetly I can't bring the program to work on here at school this week. I listened to the audio recordings of my Aunt Rita that my sister sent to me. They were good but not really what I was hoping for as far as a direction for my story. I have about 100 different ways I could go with it and I've got to narrow it down. I want to talk about how she's lived here her entire life except for a small portion during WWII when she lived in California and picked fruit in the orchards. Her brother, my grandpa, is 90 but in much worse shape than she is. He had a very different life. He's lived everywhere during his life and has many more cultural experiences. I started thinking how it would be neat to do a two perspective piece about the Ozarks, the U.S., something like that. I believe he has a master's degree. He worked as an oceanography in the Navy and helped put the first satelite in space. Rita graduated high school but never had additional education. She worked on the farm. She's an avid reader to this day and I would never consider her to be any less intelligent than grandpa. It would especially be neat to show the two perspectives of a brother and sister. Two paths that started out in the same place and time but took very different routes in life. The one thing that strikes me with grandpa, which I've never asked him before, is why, after living everywhere, did he and grandma move back here. I understand family is here but they had lived away for so long, weren't they used to the distance? Grandpa gets confused about things but it seems like when he talks about the past he's pretty clear about the memories. I really need to narrow down what I'm going to do. Do I want audio recordings? Do I just want photos? I'm pretty sure I'll do my own voiceover. The ligistics will be interesting to try and figure out since I've never done anything like this before. I think I'll go to Rita's Sunday and do a little interview and see what I can find out. Then next week I'll try to go to grandpa's and see how he's feeling and see what I can find out from him. Exciting stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment