Friday, July 27, 2012

Reflecting on Digital Writing

It's been an exciting, troubling, inspiring, and exhausting two weeks! The first week flew by with an enormous amount of new information being thrown my way. I was really excited about this class because I knew I wasn't up on all the new technologies that I could utilize both in and out of the classroom.

Our focus seemed to really be on how we could utilize these technologies within the classroom. However, I soon realized that I was focusing more on learning the software than expanding it for that use. I felt like I was being consumed with the technologies rather than the applications of those technologies. I've had conversations with other colleagues about this very issue. How much time do we devote to teaching the technology versus teaching the application? I've heard arguments that our youth is much more adept at the technology and we over estimate the time that might be involved in teaching the technology. I've also heard the argument that the youth only know certain aspects of technology and some software applications that we might employ would not be familiar to them. For instance, I wonder how many have used Garage Band or iMovie?

I truly don't think I've come any closer to an answer to these questions. When it came to certain software, such as Movie Maker and Audacity, I found them lacking in ease of use and features. I have talked about my struggles with this in other blog posts and on my Wiki. I have a feeling that I would need to adjust my approach to teaching with technology depending on the classroom I find myself in. For instance, I would have to adjust depending on what technology is available to my students and the age and experience of those students (I am certified to teach middle and high school English and also at the collegiate level).

I have a feeling that after I have time to digest all the information I've been exposed to and learned over the past two weeks, I'll be able to put it all in better perspective. I want to make that transition of learning the technology to applying it.

I want to send a heartfelt thank you to all my fellow students and instructors who were in this course with me. I was surrounded by people who were eager to learn from one another and it was a great atmosphere! Thank you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment